Thursday, January 13, 2011

Painting Burlapped Decoys

The matter of which dreams are made

Being a fan of science fiction is not an easy thing.

That is, it's fun when you start, when you have a whole world to explore in front of you.

When I was little, on TV there were only UFO and the Orion spacecraft , and a series of puppets Gerry Anderson , and little else. Films were yet to arrive, and then books, and favorite writers, and the frantic Ricerce flea markets in the books wanted. This happened much later.

The Fremen of Dune, Hari Sheldon Foundation Galactic Kickaha and manufacturers of Universes, all of them became part of my collective imagination line up in my memories according to precise scales and personal preference.

The trick is to have fun when you start reading all without dwelling too much on a single author. I've known too many fans who remained faithful to a single author, having never even read others. If you liked Sturgeon, then you could have fun with Farmer and Leinster (and why ever?), Would like throughout the complete works of Simak while ignoring what was the League of P olesotecnica Anderson (Poul , and no, not the director).

Today the world is full of people who worship Dick but never read his colleagues contemporaries, people who do not know Spinrad and Zelazny and Ursula LeGuin , and this is a sin ( damn ).

But back to the initial speech, it is not easy being a fan of FS today. The genre is no longer such, the boundaries were slaughtered, found fiction are included in the traditional literature , all find themselves able to write a Fantasy , and perhaps without having ever read Tolkien , Howard and Lord Dunsany . Oh well, patience, everything changes, and this is part of the game. But for an old

passionate, have fun with a book today is difficult. Much of the ideas have already been invented, books that come out are 1) long and dilated 2) divided into three cycles) published in hardcover with rhythms election of the pope. The little stuff that I enjoyed in recent years. And I mean really enjoyed it. The cycle of Ilium Simmons of something scattered Alan Dean Foster , a bit 'of Haldeman, and so on, still unopened in the sea of \u200b\u200bbooks that look at me and demand attention; books that probably will not be able never read them all.

So I am the insane thought of inaugurating a new column, taking advantage of my historical memory and I decide that I will begin to point out a few books that deserves to be read from any willing enthusiasts looking for a challenge.

What you were doing in 1992? It was the period of Gladio, the first edition of TG5, and Hair of Alesi's Ferrari and the Treaty Maastricht. Soon Tangentopoli will change many things in the country and the world Sienad O'Connor tore up a picture of the Pope, thinking they were the original comics and I read them only.

Anyway, back on track. At that time I was a loyal reader of Urania. I could at the time to read all the numbers came out (I did from 1000 to 1200 or so, and not bad), and one day I came in my hands this:


Of Gerrold I read something in previous years, and I knew he was an author who always managed to entertain, he also worked on Startrek, and it was not as prolific others, but the cover of Oscar Chiconi promised adventure.

He had to wait a few months since I read all the numbers in the order of exit, but when his turn came, "The journey of StarWolf " proved to be a truly unique book. Funny, a classic space opera with some good characters, good pace, and a compelling story told well. Of those stories that you hard time seeing a movie, but from where - thankfully - the film is taken away, preferring to do stories like Armageddon and Supernova. Then, there is always committed to the reading time, and for once Simmons, Le Guin Silverberg and can wait.

not I beat my personal record of reading a book (that record is held by Ubik, read in an afternoon, not realizing that it became dark and I had dinner), but I went by. And when I finished I wanted more. In fact it will be a cycle, but the next is too long in that stack of books that need attention.

true, folks. There is a whole world out there. Enjoy.



A thanks to MondoUrania , from which I took the picture.

0 comments:

Post a Comment